Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday, November 30, 2007 - How Project Playlist has failed me

Friday, November 30, 2007
How Project Playlist has failed me
You might have noticed how I'm kinda into the whole Project Playlist thing. Or, maybe you didn't notice, but it's that little purple box about midway down my page that plays odd and assorted songs that I painstakingly search out and put on the list for your enjoyment (or the cure my boredom on slow days at work -either way). Generally speaking I can find virtually any song out there via the search engine - though some titles/artists are more difficult to come by than others. Regardless - I like to think that there isn't a mainstream song out there that can't be found and posted. Here's where I'm wrong.
A little backstory to let you know that I'm not completely crazy (or maybe to reinforce your already sinking suspicion that I've not been all there for many years now).
Round about the 2nd grade (circa 1985) we got cable television at my house. It was a glorious wonderland of stations and my personal favorite was MTV. Now, you might recall that back in the day MTV actually played music videos. Music videos opened up a whole new world of music to me because I was basically restricted to whatever my parents listened to or what they bought for me to listen to. My dad, heavy in to Toto, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and the like, and my mom heavy in to the Christian contemporary. This left me with the top 40 radio stations and the occasional tuning in to DC101. MTV brought me (most memorably) David Lee Roth, Men at Work, and for all intents and purposes of this blog - Survivor. Survivor was pretty hot in the 80's and so their videos were played often throughout the day. One song and video really stuck with me and I took to creating a dance routine to go with it. No need for video recording (we didn't have a VCR anyway) - "High on You" came on about 15 times a day, so on any given afternoon or weekend, I could hear and see it multiple times to put my routine together.
Now, I don't remember one step to the routine I made up, but I do still have a fondness for the song. The tune is catchy, the lyrics are passionate, and it has significant meaning to me. I heard it on the radio one day last month, and I made a mental note to add it to my playlist. Imagine my utter disappointment and frustration when I searched and searched and searched, yet "High on You" by Survivor does not exist within the realms of Project Playlist's search engine. You're all missing out by the absence of this on my page (cause I know you log in weekly just to listen).

No comments: