Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summa, summa, summa time....

I remember when summer was a time to sing. I used to love the feeling of the school year ending, of getting all excited about spending my days at the pool, grilling every night, working on whatever semblance of a tan I could muster. Those days have eluded me for the past several years now. I've gotta say, it sucks. I knew, upon leaving my job at Gallaudet, that I would be giving up that oh-so coveted luxury of summers off. That being said, I was ready to take that leap (and frankly my bank account demanded that I do so), and I certainly can't say that I've regretted it, or that I am unhappy with my job. What I am unhappy about is the whole idea of having to work all summer. Last year was a slight luxury as I took a month off for maternity leave. It's not like I got to do whatever I wanted, but I didn't have to get up and go to work, so that was good.
Yesterday was Memorial Day - the "official" yet not "scientific" start to summer. Sadly, it was the only day we all spent together at my house. Brad worked all day Saturday, and all day Sunday, but we did our best to enjoy Monday. I found myself sitting there, enjoying the relaxing nature of not having to go to work, or anywhere really, and wished (yet again) that I could win the lottery, so we could spend every day like this. Together. Now, in reality, I'd hurt someone were I forced to spend all day, everyday with them (members of my immediate family included). Everyone needs their "me" time - alone - with their thoughts and feelings, and peace and quiet. As far as I can tell it is a basic human right. What I would like is to have the summer off. To spend the days with those that I love, maybe even take a nice vacation somewhere. I do anticipate that someday this will happen for us. Someday things won't be so hectic. We won't be working 4 jobs. We will have a rainy-day fund. We will be able to take a real vacation (as opposed to the snippets of vacations we get that are generally attached to my business travel).
I applied for a job with FCPS - they had several ATC openings. It'd be great if I could land one of those positions. While nothing would change for this summer, it would be a wonderful thing to look forward to for next year.

No comments: