Friday, January 9, 2009

Dishwasher woes

When I'm doing mind numbing things like loading the dishwasher, or perusing the internet at my desk (because I'm procrastinating writing more content for my program's new website), or watching Josh play video games I often think of several things I could blog about. Most recently, I was downstairs at work, unloading and loading the dishwasher and I thought about how often I actually do this chore. There is no assigned person to this job - we all "share" it. By "share" I mean that a small handful of people take on the responsibility of noticing that the machine is full, putting the soap in and running it. Yet another small handful of people (who might be one in the same) take on the responsibility of unloading it when it's finished. I've found myself to this person on numerous occasions. I don't mind it at all. If I see that it needs to be run I will do so and the same goes for unloading it. It only takes a couple of minutes. What infuriates me is the fact that everyone else doesn't seem to have a clue how to a) actually load the dishwasher in any sort of organized fashion, b) rinse the food out of whatever dish has been used (our dishwasher here isn't exactly top of the line), c) run the stupid thing when it's clearly full of dishes. It's an office rule not to leave dishes in the sink. You're supposed to rinse them out and put them in the dishwasher. Everyone manages to accomplish this task without issue, so I fail to see how taking it one step further and putting the soap in the little box and pushing a button would be so incredibly difficult. Anyway, that's my recent thought. Don't let this happen to your coworkers - do your part in the office kitchen! I'm off my soapbox now :)

No comments: