Friday, March 6, 2009

Rugby and warmer weather

I'm pretty committed to my rugby team. They're a good group to work with and generally there aren't any problems to speak of. What I particularly dislike about the job is that it starts in January and goes till May (June if you count our end of year alumni match and picnic). As you might imagine those January and February games are cold.... and I mean cold. I really have no clue how I survived last year because it seemed to be 20 below every Sunday. I'd bundle up and head out there, but within minutes my feet would lose feeling and it would just creep up to about my knees through the rest of the afternoon. Nothing resolved this issue, so I just dealt with it - hence is life as a Reynaud's case. Given my current state of being, I ran this scenario past a midwife at PMCP when I was quite early on and she said there was no issue with me standing out there freezing once a week. Fair enough, so I was still game. Regardless, it seems that God has smiled on St. John's this year and there have been few games where it's been painfully cold. Don't get me wrong - the cold has been there. I've broken out the heat packs, and layered on the socks and whatnot, but the horrible, awful, relentless, freezing cold has just not been part of our Sunday games. This being said, I think we're through the part where it's just freezing altogether (knocking furiously on any piece of actual wood I can find). We had a cold game on Sunday, and played the last half or more of the last game in quite a bit of icy precip. Later that night we got about 6 inches of snow. Said snow has now almost completely melted thanks to a relatively warm day yesterday and increasing temperatures today. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to this Sunday when we'll again have 3 games, and it's supposed to be a whopping 70 degrees outside. 70 degrees! It'll be March 8th and we get 70 degrees! I'm only slightly elated by this information as you might be able to tell. The flip side of this is that I have no clue what the warm weather will bring to my current state of being. Last time I swelled up like a freakin' blimp and was rendered virtually useless cause my toes were on the verge of popping right off. I'm hoping that won't be the case this time, but really have no clue if it's even an avoidable issue.

No comments: